Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Wild Moa


This race should definately be on your checklist of ones to do. The course was awesome, logitically it was easy, and they gave away heaps of free stuff at the end. For me it was to be a good test to see where my training is at for the coming year with my new focus on the XTERRA style of racing. There were 2 tough competitors racing in Patrick Harvey (35-39 world champ) and Cabin (20th pro in Maui) so my plan was to go as hard as I could for as long as I could. Patrick is a strong swimmer so I was happy when the gun went off and I found myself comfortable sitting on his feet. I never really thought that there would be much of a draft effect in swimming but there definately is, and I wasn't going to pass up the free ride. Exiting the water in a new 1km pb of 14.03 I was in about 4th and with Patrck out onto the bike, Cabin was nowhere to be seen. We worked together for a bit, although he was too strong for me mostly and eventually pulled away. I find this happens alot in races (being too tough early) which is mentally tough, but I just work on my own rhythm, stick to my guns, build momentum and I usually pull them back in, which is good for my confidence. By the top of the climb Cabin had pulled us in and went past me like I was standing still, what a demon climber he is. From here I was able to lift the tempo and keep him in sight, passing Patrick in the process. Out onto the run he was under a minute ahead of me so I was in with a chance... but oh no a wrong turn, what a dumbass!! I went off track for about a minute after missing a turn where the arrow was hidden around the corner. I felt a bit demoralised after this and really struggled mentally to push the pace hard, but I soldiered on passing Patrick again as he had come past while I was on my little detour. Half way through the run I got a split to say the gap was 2mins so I knew Cabin was running well, and that the win had pretty much gone. In hindsight this was a bit weak from me and I have to keep pushing regardless of time splits, keep positive, look forward and not back!! every race has it's lesson.

So I finished 2mins down in second. I am extremely happy with this give Cabin was some 14 mins ahead of me in Maui and at XTERRA NZ, a promising sign for 2009. This week is the start of my 6 week speed phase for IRONMAN NZ... Let the pain begin!!!

Thanks to the team from SCOTT for their massive!! support of this race and for my Spark which was awesome on the redwoods trails.

Cam.

No comments:

Post a Comment