Saturday, October 17, 2009

Motu Challenge

Well this years Motu was the toughest yet!! it was blowing a gale all day and with some fresh snow on the hills it made for an epic day and a day I just loved. I had been hanging out for this race and the weather wasn't going to put me off. The race went well for me with a solid 3rd for the 3rd year in a row! but I was almost 20mins faster than my 3rd 2 years ago. I felt really comfotable in a strong group over the Old Motu coach road, my Scale 15 was awesome and the perfect bike for this ride, thanks to Huka Honda for supplying it and to Scott bikes. I was sticking to my 160bpm heart rate and feeling well in control. Once at Motu things started to get pretty cold on the bike so I was happy to get the running shoes on and head for the bush. After 17km of running I was back on the bike and staring at a 50knot wind, the legs were starting to tire!



I was lucky to find a team rider for 10km or so, take some food on, and compose myself. The wind virtually pushed me up the dreaded traffords hill and before I knew it I was on the home stretch heading for transition and a much appreciated rest for my legs.
Coming through the Waioeka gorge on the bike the wind had been strong but It was about to get whole lot worse! the river was pumping and I was feeling good until about an hour into it things turned to custard... On a flat stretch of river I caught a massive gust to the side and it blew me right over, before I knew it I was in the water and not on it! and it was freezing! Unfortunately the river was big and brown making it hard to get to the side and to see the rocks aswell. somehow I managed to get to the side but not before my boat wedged against some rocks - suffice to say it now has a big crack in it but I was lucky it was in one piece, my bruised knees are a different story. After losing about 5-6 minutes I got going again only to be passed by 2 individuals, thinking I was in 5th I was pretty dejected, things had been going so well.
Coming into transition I was told Dwarne had fallen out too and was out of the race putting me in fourth... Well I went all out and managed to pass 1 guy and almost the other to finish 3rd.
After all that I am pretty happy with this. One day I'm sure I can improve on this, maybe next year eh.
Thanks to my wicked crew Ian, Mike, John, and Nic.
see you.
Cam.










No comments:

Post a Comment