Friday, March 13, 2009

Lucky Legs...

I've just finished reading Steve Gurneys book, and it's well worth the $40 for a copy. It's definately thought provoking and somewhat entertaining. After Ironman last weekend and reading the book this week it has got me thinking about motivation, what makes an athlete tick? This has always intrigued me and I find myself digging deeper all the time with my clients, searching for that button that makes a person strive to succeed. People have been saying "so what's next for you"? "What are you going to aim for now"? "are you going back next year"? It didn't take me long to realise I have fallen into what I have labeled the 'gurney trap'...

As athletes and humans I think we become so future orientated it clouds our sight and we forget to 'live in the now'. We are constantly looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, that illusive breakthough victory, that sub 5 hour Taupo, that sub 3hour karapoti, or that C2C top 10, but really these are such external motivators that are really just there to fuel our ego. I'm not saying these goals aren't great, and worth persuing, but I think we can become so serious about them it almost takes over our lives and it doesn't need to be that way. I think this drives alot of our pre race nerves, the constant need to prove to not only ourselves but to others what we can do. It also instills a state of fear in the athlete, a fear of failure, especially when there are friends, family and sponsors to keep happy.

Gurney describes this as 'happily ever-after' concept. He describes the age old childhood story of The Three Billy-Goats Gruff. " you know, the one where the three goats longingly eyed the lush green grass over the bridge. Thwarting the goats' plans to get to those greener pastures was the big, bad troll, who lurked menacingly under the bridge. One day a grass shortage crisis forced the three goats to hatch a plan whereby they tempted the hungry troll with a bigger and bigger meal of sweet, tender goat until he was faced with the oldest and biggest goat, who in the ensuing fight bunted the big bad troll off the bridge." "The three billy goats lived happily ever after in contented plentitude." I think alot of us think this way, that ultimate result, that win, will change the way we are, but it won't. This 'mindset' is very dangerous, and ultimately leads to dissapointment.

Now, I'm no expert on how to deal with this but I do have some ideas, which I will dive into in future posts. I think it's important to recognise it first and then put together a thought process to make a change.

A few people said to me "why have you entered Pro (for Ironman)" and " but you could win your age group" but I am glad I entered pro and gave it my best shot. I think we have to put ourselves in a position to challenge the best there is, with no real accolades, and focus on putting in a great performance rather than a result. For me it is all about the process and striving for improvement, whether that be first or last place, it really doesn't matter. So in some ways i'm not like Gurney, but I think I have become too future orientated, looking for that next event to fuel my fire. I think 'getting back on the hoarse' and enjoying my training again is the key.

At the end of the day you have to find what motivates you, but I think the majority of it needs to come internally, free of ego. So if it's having fun, meeting cool people, seeing some great countryside, pushing out of your comfort zone, and achieving the best you can be then get out there and get amongst it. And if it's not...

Enjoy,
Cam.

No comments:

Post a Comment